My Nickels Worth

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure,acceptable, or commendable."

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Unfinished Business

Our pastor gave a very good sermon today and a few things he said challenged me, so I thought I would pass them on.

God put every person on earth for a reason and there are things that he has called each of us to do. Thinking back on 2006, did you accomplish everything God called you to do? If not, then it isn't done because only you can do what God has called you to do. When our pastor asked us did we accomplish everything in 2006 that God had called us to do, I immediately started to ask God in my mind, "Did I accomplish everything you called me to do?" Before I finished forming that question to God in my head an answer was already there. No, He had immediately brought to mind one task left undone before I even finished asking the question.

For several years I have been writing a bible study that He has called me to write, I'm in the rewriting process but not finished. I have often had the discussion with God that He doesn't need me to write Bible studies because He has authors like Beth Moore and Ann Graham Lots. There is a bible study written for every subject you can think of, so I don't really know what I can add. Every time I get convicted about not completing this task He has called me to, I will comfort myself with the thought that it really isn't a necessary task since so many others can do it so much better. Before that complete thought formed in my mind today, our pastor said loudly and strongly, "Only you can do what God has called you to do." Yes, there are many published Bible studies that are awesome, but they are not the one He has given to me to write. So I have unfinshed business to do this year, do you?

Our pastor also made this statement, "Good is often the enemy of what is best in your life." Well I did many good things this past year, but did I obey God so I could experience the best? I'm afraid I may have let good be sufficient for my life this past year, how about you?

Well not this year, I'm praying for God to show me how to prioritize what's best so I can do those things and say no to the things that are simply good.

Wishing you only the best for 2007!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home