My Nickels Worth

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure,acceptable, or commendable."

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Walking with Christ

A few weeks ago I heard the following posed in a casual conversation: "So you go to church and you hear a great sermon. You get convicted and fired up that you are going to make a change, but that only lasts a few days. You get back to life and you just go right back to doing what you were doing. How do you make the change permanent, how do change your life to walk with Christ daily?"

This reminds me of what Paul said in Romans 7:19-21 "19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. "

This is actually human nature. We want to do good, but the simple fact is we are sinful and can not do it on our own.

So how do we evoke change in our life? Simple we stay in God's word constantly. One sermon a week is not enough to help us evoke change. We have to keep God and His commands on our mind every minute to evoke the desired change. As soon as we get back to work and life we focus on the world around us. God has called us to be in the world but to keep our focus on Him while we are in it.

I think back to the changes I've made in my life. In the past 10 years I have changed the music I listen to( now its just Christain), I changed the movies I watch (no rated r movies), I changed the tv I watched (no trashy tv shows for me and pretty much everything on tv is trashy). These are just a few. The biggest change in me is my thought processes. How did I make changes 8 and 10 years ago that I have stuck with? Well first of all God convicted me of these, while I was doing in depth Bible study 5 times per week. Then I made a committment to make the change. Then I prayed daily for God to help me make the change. I memorized verses that gave me strength to make the change. Most importantly I stayed in the Bible daily not just once a week.

It is impossible to walk with Christ when you only think about Him on Sundays. If you want to walk with Christ, make the committment and then follow through on the committment, do not follow your feelings follow your committment. The Bible says the heart is decietful above all things. Following our feelings will lead us astray, following Christ by true committment will lead us down the path of righteousness we desire. Have a Blessed Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home