My Nickels Worth

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure,acceptable, or commendable."

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hold on to Instruction

Prov 4:10-13
10 Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. 11 I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. 12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. 13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life. NIV


I'm sure we all know someone we would call "hard headed" (southern word for someone who doesn't listen to any instruction or advice given by others). I know I do, in fact I used to be called that myself sometimes. Today reading these verses I realized the change in myself. The change began when I started studying the Bible and listening to the Lord's instruction and advice that He gives in His word. Now I also greatly value and heed any instruction and or advice I can receive from other Godly people (the key here being "Godly" meaning people that I know study God's word and have an active prayer life).

God tells us to hold on to instruction for it is our life. It is the key to a long, peaceful, fulfilled life in Christ. Many people have a very hard time listening to the wise counsel or instruction of others and I know from personal experience that the reason for that is pride. Well God opposes the proud and lifts up the humble. Taking on an attitude of humility and listening to God and others (when you are given sound Godly advice) can be your key to a long full life.

So the question for the day is are you walking the straight path that Christ is leading you down? Are listening to His wisdom and instruction? Remember God will give you His instruction through the Bible (if you read and study it), through pastors and bible teachers, through Christian music, prayer, and through Godly people that He places in your life. If you want His wisdom and instruction, you need to immerse yourself in all the ways He will provide you with that instruction and then listen. Then after you listen and hear God's instruction you have to hold onto it ("sieze it" is what the greek/hebrew meaning is for hold onto) and follow it. Just letting it in one ear and out the other will do you no good.

I know from experience that God's paths are the only ones that I want to be on. There's nothing better than living in the will of God.

Have blessed day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home