My Nickels Worth

Philippians 4:8 "Finally brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure,acceptable, or commendable."

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Why I Homeschool

Well it is that time of year with school starting back again. I guess you could say the "rat race begins". We sent our first child to kindergarten and we hated it. I didn't have children for them to be gone all day and never see them. People often look at me like they feel sorry for me when I say that I homeschool my children, but the truth is we love it. I love seeing my children grow, and learn. It is absolutely amazing to see a light bulb turn on in a child's head when all of the sudden they understand something. I love being with my children and I don't need to send them to school to get a break. Below is a further list of why I homeschool.

Why Do I Homeschool?

Why do I homeschool, mainly because God has called me to. This is the place He wants me at this time in my life. I don’t know how long I will be doing this or what the outcome will be, but God receives all the credit good or bad.

What would my child’s day be like if they attended school? They would have to wake up earlier than their natural tendencies. We would rush around to get breakfast and get dressed with me constantly saying hurry up. They would be gone at 7:30 am and not return home until 3:30pm. They would snack and have some free time until dinner, dishes, homework, bath, and bed by 8:30. I have my child’s mind for 6 hours the school has it for 8.

My child would spend all day with teachers that couldn’t possibly love and know them like I do. What happens if they don’t understand a concept in class and is too embarrassed to ask for help? What if they don’t perform they way they are expected and lose all their self esteem?

What type of peer pressures will they face? Will my child be strong enough to resist the peer pressure?

What type of values will they be taught? Will someone tell them that there is no right or wrong to do as they feel? What type of untruths will be fed to them? Will they be expected to know that the earth is millions of years old and was created by a big bang and not even be told the truth? How much damage control will I be able to do when they are taught the world’s lies (ie. Homosexuality, evolution, Hinduism etc.) At public school, whose God will they be learning about?

Will the teacher care about the different personalities of my children? What if their personality clashes with theirs?

Private school can take care of some of these fears, but between tuition, dress codes, supplies, parties, field trips etc it is very costly and still someone else if forming my child’s mind and personality.

It’s not what I know about school that scares me, it’s what I don’t know. At home, I know what they are learning while I am building a bond and relationship with them that will last forever.


Hope you have a blessed week!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Green Piece said…

    Nickel,
    Great blog - keep up the good work!

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger HogFan said…

    Nicely done! I respect and admire your dedication to your family. Keep up the good work!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home